The LAKES REGION is located in the geographical center of the state of New Hampshire, in an area dominated by lakes. It is a combination of New England villages and resort areas offering activities, recreation and attractions.
The centerpiece of the Lakes Region is LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE, the largest lake in the state of New Hampshire and the sixth largest lake in the United States that lies within the boundaries of one state. Lake Winnipesaukee covers 72 square miles, is 182 miles around, and has 253 islands. The lake is surrounded by three mountain ranges, the Belknap Mountains, the Ossipee Mountains, and the Sandwich Range. The lake plus the mountains result in some spectacular vistas.
The Lakes Region is also at the foot of the WHITE MOUNTAINS, home of majestic Mt. Washington, the Northeast’s highest peak at 6,288’. It is said to be the home of the world’s worst weather, with the highest recorded wind speed of 231 mph.
LACONIA, the location of our office, is the largest city in the Lakes Region. It is known as the “City of the Lakes”, fronting on Lakes Winnipesaukee, Winnisquam and Opechee. The county seat, Laconia is home to Lakes Region General Hospital and Laconia Municipal Airport.
ACCESS is via Interstate Route 93. Typical driving times are:
Portland 1 ¾ hours * Boston 2 hours * Providence 3 hours
Hartford 3 ½ hours * Montreal 3 ½ hours * New York 4 hours
Major AIRPORTS are Boston’s Logan Airport, a 2 hour drive; Portland International Jetport, a 1 ¾ hour drive; and New Hampshire’s Manchester Boston Regional Airport, a 45 minute drive.
THINGS TO DO IN THE LAKES REGION:
- Boating, swimming and fishing in the area lakes;
- Hiking and mountain biking in the area mountains;
- Golfing at one of the many local golf courses;
- Aerial treetop adventure course, zip lining, and Segway tours in the summer and skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and tubing in the winter at Gunstock Recreation Area in Gilford;
- Viewing the spectacular fall foliage;
- Visiting the quaint lakeside towns of Meredith or Wolfeboro or local farms and farmers markets;
- Cruising aboard the M/S Mt. Washington on Lake Winnipesaukee or the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad along the shore of the lake;
- Shopping at the Tanger Outlet Center in Tilton or local craft fairs;
- Visiting the Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough, the Shaker Village in Canterbury, or the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in Holderness;
- Entertainment at the Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion in Gilford, the Winnipesaukee Playhouse in Meredith, the arcades at Funspot at Weirs Beach, or gaming at the Lakes Region Casino in Belmont;
- NASCAR racing at the New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon or automobile ice racing by the Lakes Region Ice Racing club in Moultonborough;
- Major events include the Great Rotary Fishing Derby and the New England Pond Hockey Classic in Meredith in February, the World Championship Sled Dog Derby in Laconia in February, the Winni Fishing Derby in May, Motorcycle Race and Rally Week in Laconia and Loudon in June, and the Timberman Triathalon and Soul Fest (New England’s largest Christian music festival) in Gilford in August.